Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday May 16th.














Could not pass this one up either!

Yesterday was a day full of accomplishments. Even more items checked off of my list. It gets ever smaller. Praise Be!

I have spent a great deal of time over the past 2 or 3 weeks figuring out what classes I am going to offer for Interweave’s Bead Fest and Bead Expo for next year. Offering classes is an interesting undertaking. It is so easy to fall into a false sense of security and rest on ones past accomplishments and not really put any effort into the process. I did that one-year and I paid a hefty price. I recycled several old classes and I had the lowest class sign-ups of my teaching career.

Once I figured out that the entire process is task and goal oriented that made it easier to kick-start the process. Along with putting up a good picture, it’s the description of what you are going teach and how you explain what is going to be taught that excites and captures a prospective student. I have found that there to many submissions that rest on past performances and reputations and do not really offer anything of substance but were thrown together with little thought.

It can be a clear and simple task. Just daunting at times, that’s for sure!

Have a sample that can be closely replicated or at least the student’s rendition of the sample can be an accomplished. It comes down to the simple fact that they signed up for the class because they liked the picture and want to be able to make one as well.

Have clear goals for the class. What are they going to walk away with? Make sure it is a project that can be completed in class, can and will be completed easily after class or they walk away with techniques that will be useful in their creative future.

Be clear about what techniques will be explored. What will they learn from you and how can you give them more? MORE! MORE! MORE! Always MORE !

Put some effort, thought and care into the sample and do not fall into complacency. All I ever have to do is remind myself that the class is for the student and it is my responsibility to make sure that what I am offering will be as exciting to teach as it will be for them to learn!

No comments: