Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday July 24th

I am home and my evening arrival to Tucson was greeted by a spectacular display of lighting as the monsoon approached from the Southwest. Great bolts stretched across the sky and made their way to the earth in a magnificent display of energy and power. For as long I remain in Tucson, I will never tire of these displays.

We left at 9am and decided to drive through Zion National Park instead of taking a detour that might add hours to our journey. On my drive out I saw a most amazing site. There was no place to stop to get out and take a picture of the thing and I knew I was not returning home by the same path. So, I placed the image in my visual Rolodex and knew that it would always stay with me. On the way to Zion, there was another! I do not understand…but it is so COOL! Look at what has been done!

Upon entering Zion National Park:
How can anything be allowed to be this impressive?
















150 million years of Mesozoic-aged sedimentation created this gash in he earth. At various periods in that time, warm, shallow seas, streams, ponds and lakes, vast deserts and dry near-shore environments covered the area. Massive shifts in the earth associated with the creation of the Colorado Plateaus lifted the region 10,000 feet starting 13 million years ago. It is no wonder that this placed is still held sacred and haunted by the ancestors of ancient people that lived there!

You fix your eyes upon this place and your soul cries out; it cries for the joy of witnessing the miraculous in nature and for the pain of knowing that no matter the medium; not ink, pigment nor verse can express the truth that you are so honored to gaze upon. Nothing can convey the size, the color the sounds and smells. Only your memory can bear a silent witness to this painted Sandstone perfection.

No comments: