Saturday, December 27, 2008

Saturday December 27th


I leave for Tucson before break of day tomorrow morning and will be back in my home before 2pm Tucson time. (barring any weather incidents or delays.) I have become accustomed to the travel requirements of our times. But I swear that the hardest time to travel is the holidays. This is the time of year that the once-a-year-traveler comes out by the thousands and they are ALL on my flights. This is the time when the girl in line does not understand that she cannot carry-on the 48oz bottle of shampoo and matching conditioner. This is the time where a person still thinks that they can carry-on 5 bags of wrapped presents as well an overnight bag. And the list can continue on and on for as long as I can type. All I can do is get there as early as possible and keep breathing as deeply as possible. The continuing mantra…In with the good air…out with the bad air.

Sylvia Plath

Mirror

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see, I swallow immediately.
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike
I am not cruel, only truthful –
The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.

Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me.
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.


I have decided that my goal is to live the definition for the sublime in life.

As I wrote on the 24th the actual definition for Sublime: The things that are of such excellence, grandeur and beauty that they can actually inspire.

I am on a noble quest for that kind of excellence in certain corners of my life. I desire the amazing and the possible. I want to be intrigued, enchanted and whimsically captivated? When that happens I will make sure that it is never ignored and I will treat it with the reverence that it deserves.

No comments: