Wednesday, November 19, 2008












What an evening I had this evening! When you get one of those great moments in your life that knock you on your butt you remember then forever.

I called up my guy dude friends Chuck & Jeff, the 2 guys that own and operate the Royal Elizabeth B&B here in Tucson for a dinner date earlier this week. We made plans to go to our favorite restaurant and as always I met them over at the B&B and we were to walk over to dinner. It is always such a joy to go out with them…they are so much fun. As we were leaving the house they introduced me to one of there guests.

I had the distinct honor and privilege of meeting Sylvia Guerrero this evening. The name did not ring the recognition bell at all, she came out of her room and gave me this HUGE hug and started chatting up the guys like old chums. She said that she was on her way out as well to give a talk and I inquired as to the nature of her talk and she re-introduced herself as Gwen Araujos mother and she said was giving a talk on the UofA campus this evening. I stood there like an idiot for just the briefest moment and crossed the room to give her the hug that she deserved from a daughter to a mother who has suffered the greatest loss a mother could experience.

What an honor to meet this woman, mother, grandmother, activist and champion of the voiceless. I was invited to go listen to her speak tomorrow evening and I would not miss this opportunity for anything.

For those who are unaware of who Gwen Araujo is; please Google the name and read up.

Well dinner was excellent as always and the company was as entertaining as usual. I had a day of cleaning and now I am off to work at my bench for a bit and then get some rest before another day of getting to the lists of my house and what I want to get accomplished before the real holiday season hits.

I hope that you all have had an excellent day. This evening has given me something very real to consider and very relevant as well, considering all of the Prop 8 in CA and 102 here in AZ.

No comments: