Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday November 24th

As you can see from a post earlier today the link for a new Patina & Metals Workshop with Gail Crosman Moore went live this morning. We are both excited about the workshop and hope that the workshop will be a success. We would like to teach it at some future shows like Bead & Button and the Bead Fest shows but those shows are already set for 2009. We think that the first time we would be able to offer it at a show would be at BABE next fall.





While I was watching the Rachel Maddow show this evening I was very dismayed to learn that the on November 4th, while we as a nation were throwing out ALL of the Bush administrations doctrine, they were trying to sneak past the American public by using the U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Land Management in an attempt to SIDE STEP CONGRESS and are set to sell land leases to oil and gas speculators next to vast tracts of land adjoining several of our National Parks in Utah. Robert Redford, who is a resident of Utah, went on the show this evening to raise awareness so we as citizens of this country can DEMAND from our representatives in Washington that this is NOT allowed to occur. It was well started this evening. “Once pristine is gone, it can not be restored.” We cannot allow this to happen, these lands cannot be raped and trashed by a industry that only cares about lining their own coffers. I drove through Zion National Park on my way home from The Utah Shakespeare Festival this summer and I have no desire to ever see anything damage that space or the area surrounding it that must be maintained in order to keep the pristine nature of the Park intact.

Raise you voice, be heard, email or call your representatives and tell them in no uncertain terms that this must not be allowed to happen.

It is cooling off here, relatively speaking; it is amazing what we get used to. I grew up in Ohio and I grew up with really cold winters, lots of snow and the changing seasons. I moved out to NYC and later to Boston and again was met with all of the above…Then, I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, gone was snow and I made the adjustment from 4 seasons to the wet season and the dry season. There was some sort of winter but I totally lost any sense of that when I moved down to LA.

I remember sitting out on the porch of my bungalow in downtown LA in the dead of winter, 65º, having to wear sweat pants and a sweatshirt because I was cold. I remember laughing at myself because New Yorkers would don shorts and T-shirts as soon as the temperature would rise above 45º and rush outside to the parks. Then we would all get spring colds because of our desire to hurry the arrival of spring.

Well, now that I have been living in Tucson for 2 ½ years my blood has thinned to the point that I am getting chilly as the temp drops to a bone chilling 70º. I laugh at my own weakness. It is amazing what we as humans adapt to and can acclimate our bodies to. How can a people live and thrive in the freezing climate of the north and the same species live and thrive in the harsh reality of the deserts. I guess that this is one of the reasons that I love watching Nova and the Discovery Channel and the History Channel. The series The Universe is outstanding and over a year ago I got the BBC’s Planet Earth. TOTALLY COOL. I am such a geek where these things are concerned.

Tucson Wildlife in all of it's glory! This is why I LOVE living here! I am looking froward to my Thanksgiving Morning hike in Sabino Canyon.

No comments: