Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sunday March 2nd.

I get to watch my much beloved Reds play ball today for the first time this season. I am really looking forward to it.

I am working, watching ball games, listening to music and spending time looking at myself and my world and I stare in constant wonderment at how people can just go blindly ahead in life thinking that they have every answer and are in complete grasp of it all. Growth comes from introspection and examination right? What happens when those you love have never even truly looked deeper than the first layer of the onion? I have come to the painful conclusion that they are afraid of the effects of what the peeling of the onion does to ones eyes.

I have this habit of turning on my iPod, putting on a single artist and listening to all of their music while work. My latest artist of choice is Lucinda Williams. She is the daughter of American contemporary poet Miller Williams. Her words and music are a gift to us all.

Broken Butterflies
You wear your anger well and stand
For all the world to see
A heavy cloak and one gloved hand
And no humility

You stand inside the garden
And feast on black cherries
And swallow the manna from heaven
And spit out the seeds

You spread your anger on sharp-edged knives
Cut my skin and make it bleed
Like Pilate in his self-righteousness
You're a traitor and a thief

Choking on your unplanned words
Coughing up your lies
Tumbling from your mouth a flurry
Of broken butterflies

But the blood that flows I cannot hide
That blood that covers me
Nourishes the butterflies
And they are healed and are set free

I wish you had what Ruth possessed
But then I don't expect that of you
Grace and honor and faithfulness
And the love that you refuse

Will you ever learn to just forgive
Will you open your beautiful eyes
And bleed the way Christ did
And fix the broken butterflies

No comments: