Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday January 17th

Okay, I have to say that in just over 72 hours I am going to be a much happier person. Well, I am happier now, that is certain, but all I want now is for the nightmare of the last 8 years to be over. It is my fervent hope that we as a Nation will NEVER become that acquiescent ever again. To this day, I cannot fathom how we, as a people, let our path be guided by fear.

I love words; I struggle with them every day. I will never claim to use proper punctuation and I am very aware that my spelling is atrocious. If it was not for spell check, my computers dictionary and the grammar check just think how bad it would be. But I have an almost Victorian love for the written and spoken word and I love to pull little used words from out of obscurity and let them out for a walk every once in a while.

So…Words, I really love to hear this man speak. I love the intonation and timber of his voice. I love to see how he looks directly at those with whom he is speaking. There is an eloquence, a confidence and a self assurance in his demeanor that has brought a country it’s first glimmer of hope after 8 years of hate, arrogance and fear-mongering.

So, as close to noon as possible, on January 20th 2009, Barack Hussein Obama will place his hand on the same Bible that Lincoln took his oath of office with and we as a Nation can try to rebuild the our reputation and once again be a country that offers hope. I am sure that the tears of pride and joy that ran down my face on the night that our nation elected this man our next president will flow again.

Tao Te Ching
Chapter 61


When a country obtains great power,
it becomes like the sea:
all streams run downwards into it.
The more powerful it grows,
the greater the need for humility.
Humility means trusting in the Tao,
thus never needing to be defensive.

A great nation is like a great man:
When he makes a mistake, he realizes it.
Having realized it, he admits it.
Having admitted it, he corrects it.
He considers those who point out his faults
as his most benevolent teachers.
He thinks of his enemy
as the shadow that he himself casts.

If a nation is centered in the Tao,
if it nourishes it’s own people
and doesn’t meddle in the affairs of others
it will be a light to all nations of the world.

I think the most amazing thing about all of the preparations and news coverage and commentary is that we are talking about the things that actually matter and the discussion of race is of little consequence. I am so proud of what we have done and that our country stood up and did not let fear keep us in the status quo.

No comments: