Thursday, January 8, 2009

REALLY RANTING HERE!

Crystal Corduroy with Japanese Overlay

This is a design that I premiered 5 or 6 years ago at Bead & Button and the pattern has been published at least 4 times by Kalmbach as MY design

All right, I am in the middle of a moral dilemma. I am teaching at a show this year and I had to proof my submissions for the web site release. While I was going over my classes I saw that one of the instructors is teaching a class that I made up about 5 or 6 years ago and have taught ever since and have sold as a kit on my website for the last 4 ½ years.

Now here is the moral dilemma for me. THERE IS NOTHING NEW IN CHAIN MAKING. It is all just small adjustments to patterns that have been around for hundreds or even thousands of years. But when you BARELY change the name of the class and use the SAME BEADS in the SAME pattern I kind of get a bit MIFFED.

When we sign our contracts to teach, we promise that the design or technique are “ours” and that “we” made it up. Now this is really screwed up because there are SO MANY of us teaching Fusing and PMC and Chain and Felting or even Glass Bead Making and all of the other classes. But in each of those classes the instructors brings a unique approach to the medium and is NOT taking someone else’s idea and pimping it as their own.

And I guess that is where the difference lies. This is an old pattern true, but NO ONE but me has placed the Crystals in the pattern the way that I have AND it has been PUBLISHED by Kalmbach on at least on 4 different occasions with MY instructions and listing ME as the designer.

I cannot see HOW else she learned this pattern or this technique.


This is the other instructors offering
Staggered Corduroy with Japanese Overlay

No comments: