Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday June 22nd.

If you have ever wondered if you were a geek or not?
If you are wondering, let me be your gauge.
I am a geek!
I am a proud geek!

I love to wonder around the hand tool section at the hardware stores, in junkyards and vintage stores. Here in Tucson, I can be found with great regularity at Gerson's, a local reclamation yard. Got my outdoor claw foot tub from them in exchange my cut up wrought iron fence. I like to tinker with things to find out how they work and I have always been one to tear something apart if it is broken to see if I can fix it.

I collect silly toys, finger puppets, a 6” Pink Panther, a magic 8 Ball, an Etch-a-Sketch, a Slinky, (yes, I can sing the commercial from when I was a child!) a 2” Gumby & Pokey and many other great toys that are located all over my house to amuse me no matter what room I am in.

But the geekiest thing of all that I have done religiously for the past 10 years is collect all of the state quarters and place them in their appropriate location on the cardboard folding US Map. Yes, I will freely admit that I am that much of a geek. I only have to collect Hawaii and Alaska and a 10 year vigil is complete!


What on earth will I collect now? I have no idea!
So, this is a starting point to see if you too are a GEEK. Be proud of your geek-dom. Honor that fact that these little things actually make you happy in those little ways. As my friend Cris says, it is one of the things that we have in common in large quantities.

I am taking the day off tomorrow and tubing down the Salt River. We are driving tonight up Mesa so we can wake up 15 minutes away from the river. If I can safely take my camera on the river I post photos on Tuesday!

Have a great Monday!

No comments: