Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday April 6th

I HAVE A COLD. Yuck!
I have not really been sick sine January 20th 2006. That was the last time I have been flat on my back, under covers, feeling like death warmed over. The only reason I remember the date so clearly is because I was on my way to the airport and felt kind of crappy and by the time I got back to the Monterey airport at the end of the day I felt like I had been run over by a diesel truck several times. I am so not prepared to feel poorly, I have none of the appropriate drugs on hand and what I did have was from the last time I was sick… rather out of date I fear. So, I am now taking Afrin and Sudafed and loads of vitamin C. I do have the best friends in the world, each has offered me their own sure fire cure and I have to say, many of them sound like they might work. I am one of those people that believes that Chicken Broth, Ginger Ale & Saltine Crackers do wonders. So I am taking the advise of my health care professional and staying under the covers and trying to make sure that I do not get sicker.

Today is the first full day of Baseball for the season. I am watching the New York Mets play my beloved-ly horrible Cincinnati Reds. They are playing good ol’ fashion “cubby ball.” I realize that my team is really bad, but I do love them so. Well, I hold no illusions about the talent here but still, I just hope that they do not have a losing season.

I learned something very interesting yesterday. Did you realize that glass is a liquid? I am serous. I thought I was being taken advantage of while I was in a weakened and sick condition but here it is. Glass is actually a “Super Cooled Liquid.” I was blown away; I love learning stuff like this. I have the “word of the day” on my widgets just for that reason, at least with that I am assured of learning one new thing a day. The word of the day a few days agos made me laugh out loud.. here you go.. it is a good one.

moue |moō|
noun
a pouting expression used to convey annoyance or distaste.


While I was driving back home form New Mexico last Thursday, I got to witness a most remarkable site. As I was driving I saw a hawk gliding on the thermals and circling above. Then suddenly I saw him tuck in his wings pull in his tail feathers and dive just like one of those old Warner Brother Cartoons (except that there was no flames coming off of the tail feathers) This hawk just kept getting closer and closer to the ground and then he opened up his wings and extended his talons and grabbed at something on the ground. As he gained altitude I saw that he had a HUGE snake in his grasp and he gently landed on a fence post to take care of the rest of his business. I had never seen anything like it and it was an amazing and beautiful thing to be graced to witness.

No comments: