Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tuesday February 14th ~ 2012

Happy St. Valentines day to all. May this day bring friends and family together to reaffirm those bonds and may lovers remember to open their hearts to those that they adore. I am blessed with both in my life and on this day and every day I hope that I have done my due diligence with expressing these feelings.

Just some interesting history:
Wikipedia: Saint Valentine's Day, often simply Valentine's Day, is a holiday observed on February 14 honoring one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentinus. It was first established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD, and was later deleted from the General Roman Calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI. It is celebrated in countries around the world, mostly in the West, although it remains a working day in all of them.

The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By the 15th century, it had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines") 
 
One of my favorite poems that I wanted to share.
 
I carry your heart with me

 














E.E. Cummings
 
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)
i am never without it
(anywhere i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
                                                      i fear
no fate (for you are my fate,my sweet)
                                                      i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
 
 

No comments: