Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wednesday January 6th ~ 2010

Welcome to the new year and we are off to a running start. I usually do not get much work in January but this year is a bit of a shift for me. I leave for Cedar Rapids, IA in just over a week for a single day class of Fine Silver Fusing at The Bead Haven. Then I am off to Detroit to spend a week with the most awesome Great Lakes Bead Workers Guild. I am looking forward to a wonderful and FREEZING January.

Because I have been getting ready for this January's travels I have had to get a huge jump start on getting stuff ready for the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. I have to say that I think I have done pretty well where that is concerned. I have 2 dozen cuff bracelets that are almost finished up, a load of new pieces that feature Terri Caspary Schmidts work, finished necklaces and the like. So I am  feeling pretty okay with how the work is progressing. As usual it could always be better and I am determined to get much accomplished before I head out to the frozen midwest.

I am really getting excited about this years BeadFest Santa Fe Show. March 18th - 21st this is the first major gathering of my people for 2010. Even though so many of us gather in Tucson for the Gem Show we are so spread out all over town that it is almost impossible for us all to schedule time to see each other. At least when we all meet up for the other major show we are in one convention center.

My classes for Bead Fest Santa Fe are a very fun offering check them out and join in the fun if you are in the area.
(Too see the classes, scroll down through the very long Workshops Page)

Color & Patina on Metals with Metal Joining Techniques ~ Class #1412











Fusing a Heavy Gauge Fine Silver Bracelet ~ Class # 2424








Hand Formed Sterling Fused Fine Silver Cuff ~ Class # 3424








Explorations in Low-Tech Metalsmithing & Fine Silver Fusing ~ Class # 4424











Even if my year has gotten off to a quick start I was deeply saddened by the news that with the very turn of the new decade a dear friend of mine has succumbed to his battle with a variety of challenges. Whether or not you knew my friend, if you are at all involved in my industry, you owe him a great big thank you. Mr. W. Scott Bartky invented the crimping pliers and he pretty much changed our industry. I was honored to count him a friend and he will be missed by all of those who were touched by his generosity, kindness and humor.

One of my last questions to Scott "What haven't you done?" We decided that cowboy and astronaut were safe bets.

I was blessed that during my trip to Chicago in October I got to visit with Scott one last time and spend an hour with him and his beautiful wife Elizabeth for a little mutual birthday get together. I was also pleased that  they got to meet Terri and she got to put a person to my stories. 

You can read about this mans amazing life. Chicago Tribune Obituary

My visit with Scott in August of 2008.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Bartky said...

Anne,

Thank you for remembering Scott in such a wonderful loving way and posting the picture we took on one of his past walks in the park that he loved so much.

Scott greatly enjoyed your company and I am grateful that you were able to visit last October with Terri. You were some of the last visitors we had before he became too ill.

I cannot begin to tell you what a big gap Scott leaves behind in my heart. He was my soul mate, best friend and partner for 21 years and 5 months. There was never an argument between us or even an exchange of harsh words. It was a match made in heaven.

It warms my heart to see how much he is missed and thank everybody for their kind and comforting words.

I look forward to seeing you some time later this month for dinner and to raise a glass in his honor. He always loved good food and wine and we will have both in his memory.