Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wednesday Sept. 2nd

If there was a day that states quite clearly "what ever can go wrong will go wrong." today was that day for me. I had a wonderful breakfast get together with a group of friends for a chat and catch up session. Then the afternoon went into a downward spiral quickly.

Well that is not really the case, just sort of, I installed 4 gigs of memory for my MacBook Pro and that went fine and but then I started to install the new Snow Leopard operating system. Then to say that all hell broke loose is the understatement of the new millennium. The install failed and then my whole computer started to crash & it was like watching a dam slowly break apart as the water seeps through.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Apple Care and when I finally figured out that the man on the line had NO IDEA of what was actually happening I pretty much asked him to email me a case file & I hung up on him and RAN to the nearest Apple Store, storming the Genius Bar. I was put on a 45 to 60 minute waiting list and I started pacing. About 10 minutes later an appointment did not show up and I was assigned to the lead tech. Keegan is the man of the century this evening, he worked magic and saved most, if not all of my data. I do not think that I have ever been more scared, I do save me work but have not done so for over a month or two. This dude is a code magician and managed to get my data onto my external hard drive. I sat for over an hour and could actually watch each file, each image, each document be saved and transferred.

At the end of this most terrifying 90 minutes I was told that I would lose all of my applications even though we have saved the data. I have no idea of how, where, or when I installed Dreamweaver 2004 MX for my web site, I know that I have will have lost my entire Adobe Creative Suite but I do still have my Microsoft Office Suite...Tomorrow will start the task of finding the minutia that I have become so dependent upon.

I can not recall the last time I felt so absolutely helpless. I just sat there and watched as my HD was failing and I was totally helpless to do anything about it. My man Keegan explained that HD's will fail, sometime they will fail in a year sometimes they will fail in 5 years.. but they will fail. He said that my HD was already failing but that trying to install such a major systems program just opened up the flood gates and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.

So my day rather stank.. I am not saying that there were not some excellent things that happened and I am grateful for each one bit I am just a bit worn out right now and this is NOT how I needed to spend a better part of my afternoon.

I will have a better day tomorrow and for now I have my handy dandy 13" PowerBook G4. Cute as hell and not as BadAss fast but hey there is some work that I can get done and I guess that I need to be grateful for the fact that so much of my data was retrieved.

No comments: